January 27, 2011

Chicago Marathon

This is a post that should have been done a long time ago, but the Chicago trip took place prior to my blogging "comeback"...so I am doing it now. Mainly because I was just thinking about this trip, and just how much FUN it was!!!

I love to run. I know a lot of people hate running, but I love it. I took a long break while I was busy having kids, but I knew eventually I would start running again. I had a difficult time fitting everything into my busy world after Davis was born. Just before he turned 1, I found out that a large group of my friends were planning to run the Chicago Marathon. It was one I always wanted to do. I ran Philly in November 2006, got pregnant in January 2007 and had not run more than 3 miles at any one time since then. PLUS, now I have two small kids, a husband that works a crazy schedule and no family in town to help me. Hmmm, can I do this??? HELL YES I CAN!!!

I signed up for Chicago in March 2010. The race was 10-10-10. I was super exctied and more neverous about training then you can possibly imagine. I started with 3 miles, then 5...I was miserable during my first 9-miler but I suffered through it with the help of some friends that forced me to "suck it up". The running part of the training wasn't nearly as difficult as the "life" part of training. Most of my running crew would run 20 miles and then go home and nap. My kids were both under 3 years old, so they depended on me...no naps for momma! :) Plus, Jim worked weekends during most of my long runs, which made it a little more difficult. I would wake up at 3am, start my long run at 4am while Ashley (our nanny) would get up with the kids, I would run between 15 and 21 miles, go home, relieve Ashley and chase my kids around all day until Jim got home around 5pm to help.

Jim and I went to Chicago together, without kids. It was our first vacation without kids, so I was excited and nervous about that, too. This was on the way to our hotel. The weather was warm, but the sky was clear and beautiful. We walked all around the city, went to the Navy Pier and had Chicago style pizza! It was AWESOME!!

On Sunday morning I walked down to the race start with friends. Jim was going to be at the 1st and 3rd mile markers, so I would get to see him early on. I also saw him around 12 and then 26.

This picture is before the start. I was so nervous, I think I wanted to cry. Seriously.

I was SUPER excited to see Jim. The crowds were crazy. Luckily he could spot me, because I never would have found him. I also ran with my phone so that he could text me and we could easily find each other. I was so happy to be there, lucky to have the opportunity, and was having the time of my life.

Now, some of you might laugh, but I called Jim at 18 to see where he was and to let him know which mile I was at (for timing purposes)....then I called my mom to say "hi". Yes, I did this all while running. I hit the wall around 20 miles. The temperature increased quickly, it was very hot, I was dehydated and my legs hurt, but I kept going....mind over matter at this point...
When I saw the finish line in the distance, I literally began to cry...actually, I am not going to lie, I began to ugly cry. I was so proud. It took a village to train for this race. Scratch that, it took two villages and some days it nearly killed me. BUT I DID IT!!!
It was my fourth marathon. The other three were easy. This one never would have been possible without the support from Jim, my parents and our awesome nanny, Ashley.
Thank you!!

The vacation was fun, but I missed my babes and was ready to see them again when we got home. :)

1 comment:

Allegra said...

Deana, I cried reading that! So proud of you!! You should come up here and run the Beaufort Twilight Run. It's just an 8K. You could totally rock it!

xoxo,
Allegra